Today Lori and I went to see the Oncologist (‘onc.’) at 12. He is the main onc at the OLVG and it turns out he was disappointed with the PET scan results. He said there was a lot of residual active mass which was active on the PET scan. This was more then he expected. To further complicate matters, there was a small mass or possible mark on my lung. The lung mark was there previously, and had shrunk with the BEP Chemo, but together with the amount of active residual mass it might be something.
It’s no positive news. But also no clear negative news. We need to check what is left of Theo.
Next step is to schedule a special biopsy in my mediastinal area, the area between your lungs. This is a day treatment under a little bit of an anesthetic. Its a bit more work then the previous biospy I had. They will cut me open a bit more and with a camera find the active residue in order to get a ‘detailed’ biopt. More info here about the procedure.
This mini operation will be done as soon as possible. We asked this because Lori is about to go to her Mom in the States and would like to do it right when she gets back. The Onc advised us not to delay because if the results of this mini operation are negative they need to start another chemo round right away. Thursday the Onc will call when the mini operation will take place. As soon as we know that we’ll see about her trip.
If the out come of the biopsy is negative they will start 4 rounds of chemo as soon as possible. Overall treatment effects will be the same as before. Its hard and heavy. Again 6 days in the hospital and all that… A new no-fun scenario.
If the out come of the biopsy is positive the onc will probably start the watchful waiting process. That would be much better.
Also I told the onc about the various side effects I have due to the chemo. One of the things is that I suffer a bit from hearing loss. If I go into a new chemo therapy this is important to know because then it might get worse. Next Wednesday I will visit the ear specialist to checkout my hearing. No biggy but still…
So how do I feel about all this?
I am not happy about the possible 4th scenario: back to chemo. That would be a major big bummer. For the rest it just sucks that Theo is not gone yet. But it might be…. I am happy about action. Meaning the biopsy. That will provide clear information about the next steps. In the mean time I will just focus and good food, some sports, Lori, kick ass SPRXprojects and the VRMevent on the 20th. Theo won’t hold me back.